EXTRA VIRGIN OIL

From ancient Greece up to modern times, the people of this country have worshiped and cherished the olive tree and its priceless fruits. In everyday life, the ancient Greeks used the olive oil for various purposes. Many ancient Greek philosophers, like Ηippocrates, have stated its value as a medicine and as a tool of prosperity and health. Common people embraced their views and adopted its use in their daily diet, as a medicine, as a lubricant and as means of lighting.

In Crete, in particular, it was a fundamental part of the people's diet and, we now know, partly accountable for the low mortality rates of that area. Throughout the ruins of the ancient civilisation of king Minoa, known as the Minoan civilisation that dates back to 3000 B.C., there are signs of the exploitation of the olive tree. Archaeological excavations in the village of Zakros led in the discovery of the fourth largest Minoan palace of the island. Inside that palace a cup of olives was found within a tank of water and due to the humidity, the crumb of the olives was in a very good condition. These olives date back to 1450 B.C. and are considered as the ancientest ones ever to be discovered.

Today, scientists have proven that the Mediterranean diet model seems to be the healthiest diet scheme and in 2010 UNESCO included it in its list of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity. Lastly, according to a medical study, patients that suffered a heart attack and changed their diet to the Mediterranean one, presented a 75% less probability of relapse of such a new incident, while on the other hand, following a low fat diet scheme reduced the probability by only 25%.